Tuesday 25 March 2014

Easter Pebbles


I have a 'wonder table' or 'nature table' permanently set up in the classroom that has beautiful collections of natural materials for the children to use whenever they like and however they like.

I change the main display regularly and sometimes paint or draw on the natural materials so they can be used for a specific purpose.

This week, I painted patterns on 20 pebbles to resemble Easter Eggs. I repeated the pattern so that the pebbles could be used in pairs.

I painted a main colour in an oval shape first.


I them used a few colours to paint some simple patterns.


The children enjoyed finding the matching pairs, counting the eggs, putting them in egg cartons, putting them in small baskets, lining them up and enjoyed having some quiet time holding and looking at the different shapes and patterns.





We also had a lot of fun playing a simple memory game by turning the pebbles over one at a time to find a pair. This was a great language and turn taking activity.


This is a simple activity that doesn't require too much artistic ability and can be used in many different ways.

Have a go at making some of your own Easter Pebbles.
Niccola


7 comments:

  1. These are ADORABLE! I want some! Where did you get your smooth pebbles? What kind of paint did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiffany. Thanks so much for your comment. I actually buy the pebbles from a landscape supplier and they are smooth but they are not shiny. I have tried to paint on shiny pebbles before and the paint just peels off. I use artists quality acrylic paint which you can buy at any craft shop. Goodluck.
      Niccola

      Delete
  2. What a great idea, they look so bright and colourful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Niccola, these are amazing, I am so impressed. I am going to get the kids to have a go.natural materials in play and just love this addition of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are adorable! Thanks for sharing at the Hands-On Play Party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We would like to feature this craft in our Easter round-up on Artsy Play Wednesday. May we use a photo with link back to this post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristen. Of course I would love it if you featured the pebbles on Artsy Play Wednesday. Thanks.

      Delete