Tuesday 8 October 2013

10 SIMPLE IDEAS TO ENHANCE BLOCK PLAY




Blocks are an important part of all Early Childhood classrooms and are also an important educational toy to have at home. They come in a variety of shapes, sizes and colours and children of all ages love to build, create and play with them.

Playing with blocks provides excellent learning opportunities for children from problem solving,
language and social skills, maths skills and creativity to name just a few.

As a teacher, I change the materials to enhance the block play frequently depending on the childrens interests, topic or season.

Some of the materials I like to add to the block area include....

1. Cardboard cylinders and boxes
2. Natural materials-rocks, nuts, twigs, branches
3. Paper, cardboard, foil, cellophane 
4. Measuring tapes and rulers
5. Mirrors
6. Material, artificial grass, rugs and artificial flowers
7. Dinosaurs and animals
8. People
9. Cars, signs, traffic lights and trains
10. Pop sticks, pipe cleaners, wool and string






































I love watching the children play and interact in the block area and observing all of the positive learning experiences that evolve. If you have any creative block ideas I would love to hear them!!

11 comments:

  1. we are big fans of blocks at the moment, some lovely ideas here to help us mix it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blocks are such an important tool for learning! My son just showed me he can count to three when we were stacking blocks :) Thanks for these ideas to expand block play with him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great ideas! I have to incorporate these into our block play! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love all these ideas!

    I have a link up at the moment specifically for building & construction play and would love for you to share this - Alice @ Mums Make Lists

    http://mumsmakelists.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/building-toys.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas! I love playing with wooden blocks with my little girl and could always use a little more creativity to add some spunk to our playtime. Thanks so much, Niccola.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these ideas! I featured you on my Weekly Kids Co-op post! http://pisforpreschooler.weebly.com/1/post/2013/10/building-fine-motor-skillsthrough-play-kids-co-op.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Babies love to play with Building blocks. Get a complete list and Reviews about best building Blocks for Toddlers/children in 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post is a jackpot to all little fans of Bloks. My nephew just got his new Mega Bloks Building Bag last week. I have heard that Bloks help kids to learn and develop many skills. Anyway, I am gonna show these great ideas to my nephew. He will be so excited to work these ideas into his blok play.

    ReplyDelete
  9. children like to plays with building house blocks and they get interest to construction the houses and when they grew up they become tenders and launch society like Saima Arabian Villas .And earn lots of money like me .

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice Your Blog !
    It is one of the many housing plans in Lahore Victoria city Lahore payment plan that are developed to the standards of a gated local area. It offers various private and business plots in simple portions.

    ReplyDelete