Playing with blocks provides excellent learning opportunities for children from problem solving,
language and social skills, maths skills and creativity to name just a few.
As a teacher, I change the materials to enhance the block play frequently depending on the childrens interests, topic or season.
Some of the materials I like to add to the block area include....
1. Cardboard cylinders and boxes
2. Natural materials-rocks, nuts, twigs, branches
3. Paper, cardboard, foil, cellophane
4. Measuring tapes and rulers
6. Material, artificial grass, rugs and artificial flowers
7. Dinosaurs and animals
9. Cars, signs, traffic lights and trains
10. Pop sticks, pipe cleaners, wool and string